As a birth doula, I accompany women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I provide emotional support and reassurance through encouragement and knowledge. I provide physical comfort through massage, positioning, and relaxation techniques. I also provide labor progression tips and techniques by encouraging movement and position changes. If you wish, I can remind you if there is a departure from your birth plan.
As a birth doula, I will not perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure readings, fetal heart checks, vaginal exams, etc. I am there to provide only physical comfort, emotional support, and education. I will not make decisions for you. I will help you obtain the information you need to make an informed decision. I will not speak to the staff on your behalf. I will discuss any concerns you may have and suggest options. Ultimately, you and/or your support person will discuss with your care providers, and must take responsibility for, your final decisions.
- An initial meeting will be set-up to determine whether you wish to hire me as your doula. There is no charge for this meeting.
- Once you have chosen me to be your doula, I will arrange to meet with you and your support person(s) for two prenatal visits, to become acquainted, to explore and discuss your priorities, fears, or concerns, and to determine how we might best work together.
- I will work with you to create a birth plan. I will become familiar with your preferences regarding medical interventions and the use of pain medications. Additionally, I will want to know how you and your support person(s) forsee us working together.
- I kindly request a phone call when you first believe yourself to be in labor, even if you are not ready for my assistance at that point. This will allow time for us to determine our next steps, as well as time for me to clear my schedule and arrange for childcare.
- I will arrive within one hour from the time you request my presence, whether it will be at your home or the hospital.
- I will remain with you throughout labor and birth, and for approximately one hour after, or until you are comfortable and breastfeeding has been established.
- I will come for two postpartum visits, to check on breastfeeding progress, to discuss your birth experience, answer any questions you may have, offer any necessary resources, and admire your baby.
- I will be on call for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, beginning two weeks prior to your estimated due date.
- Call me at (831) 521-1045, my cell phone first. Then (831) 424-2938, my home phone.
- I may be in a situation where I cannot answer the phone right away, so please always leave a message. I will return your call promptly.
Terms and Conditions:
- If I am unable to attend the birth due to my own circumstances and have not arranged for a back-up doula, I will refund your money. Please note that I have never missed a birth, and I will always have a back-up doula.
- If you do not call me to attend the birth for any reason (including not calling me early enough to allow for my timely arrival), you forfeit any refund. However, I will gladly come for a postpartum visit.
- If you go into labor before you are considered “term” at 37 weeks gestation, I will still be available to you, but cannot guarantee immediate availability.
- In hiring a doula, you understand that I am not medically trained and do not guarantee any specific birth outcome.
- My current fee for birth doula services is $800.
- My fee includes two prenatal visits, my continuous presence at your labor and birth, immediate postpartum support and breastfeeding assistance, and two postpartum visits. In addition, I provide access to my lending library, and unlimited email and phone support from time of hire to 6 weeks postpartum.
- I truly believe that any woman who wants one, should be able to give birth with a doula. With that in mind, I am willing to negotiate my fees, barter, or offer payment plans, for those who are having difficulty affording a doula. Don’t let finances stand in the way of the birth experience you want.
- Please don’t choose your doula based on her fee. Do everything in your power to find the doula that works best for you, even if it is not me. Many doulas are willing to work with women who are having financial difficulties. It is important that you choose the doula you feel most comfortable with, not simply the most affordable one.